Sunday, August 10, 2014

Tomato Tasting #3 Green Zebra

Did you know that the Green Zebra tomato was bred right here in Washington State by Tom Wagner of Everett and was first sold in 1983.  Green Zebra has been touted as an heirloom but is actually the result of four heirloom tomatoes bred together.  Nevertheless, heirloom or not, I have been growing it for three years in a row now and this year I have my best crop ever!  Our hot and dry summer have made this tomato produce like gangbusters.  I have two plants and each plant has at least 10-15 large to medium fruits on it.


The Green Zebra is a beautiful tomato, I love the chartreuse coloring and the dark green stripes. The catalogs state it is a medium-sized tomato but I picked two this evening that were larger than half a pound, 10 and 11 oz. to be exact.  When they are ripe, they blush with a light orange tinge and give into to gentle pressure.  Don't wait for them to turn red because they won't.


I sliced several in half and the larger ones had 4 lobes with few seeds in them.  I sprinkled them with a bit of sea salt and when I put them in  my mouth, I got a zing!  They were flavorful, bright and more tart than your average tomato.  Delicious!  They have a nice medium to thin skin and when I added a few drops of balsamic vinegar and olive oil to them, I devoured them up immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment