Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Tomato Tasting #2 Red Zebra


This adorable tomato is a hybrid from the heirloom Green Zebra and a red parent.  I have done a bit of research and have yet to find out the name of the red parent.  The fruit are medium in size ranging from red striped with green and yellow to red with only yellow stripes when fully ripe.  (They start out green.)  When my mom first saw this tomato she said it must be diseased because if its stripes.  I don't have the heart to tell her about my Green Zebra that never turns red!


The tomato has few seeds and is slightly tart.  I enjoyed the flavor and thought hard about how to describe it.  I would say it tastes like a real tomato should, it is juicy with a firm texture maybe due to its thick skin which gives it added  mouth feel.  I also think it tasted like how crushed tomato leaves smell.  I ate one last week and one this week and stand by that opinion.  Enjoy!

-Gia

No comments:

Post a Comment