Sunday, August 10, 2014

Tomato Tasting #4 Black Plum

Black Plum is a Russian heirloom plum tomato.  It is larger than a grape tomato but oval in shape.  I have never grown this variety before and love to try new types, especially if I have never heard of them. The plant is indeterminate and very prolific, it grew right out of its tomato cage and onto my scarlet runner beans.  They are 1-2 inches long with dark red skin and a mahogany blush. I think they look like they have been splashed with chocolate. 





When I cut the tomato open, I noticed 2 lobes with a good amount of seed pulp inside.  The flesh was a tiny bit grainy but tasty.  I read it makes a great sauce but in our house we mostly eat our tomatoes fresh in salads or with mozzarella, basil and mezza rigatoni in a fresh and cold summer pasta. I also read this tomato has a smokey flavor but I did not pick up on it.  I think for fresh eating, it hits the spot.


No comments:

Post a Comment